The mornings are a bit darker, the weather a bit colder, and it might rain a little more, but there are lots of reasons to love cycling in Autumn! Don’t let a little thing like a change in the season stop you from making a healthier lifestyle choice.
Getting out on your bike has numerous health benefits, but on these autumnal days when you can feel the dark and colder days setting in, cycling can really lift your spirits. A cycle first thing in the morning is also a great way to get the metabolism kicking in. It can be hard to motivate yourself to get going, but once you’re out, it’s worth it.
If you’re looking for a little motivation to get out there, here are 10 reasons why riding your bike in Autumn is worthwhile.
- A little exercise goes a long way to help keep the winter blues at bay. Many studies have shown that exercise is fantastic for the health and wellbeing of both your body and mind. Research studies have reported that 30 minutes of vigorous exercise just three times a week is effective against depression. For all you hybrid workers out there make your commute you daily exercise routine, you’ll feel better for it.
- It is such a beautiful time of the year to get outside, find routes that will take you through parks and marvel at the changing season and the fantastic Autumn colours especially in that first morning light.
- A series of new medical studies have shown that exposure to the cold helps to raise your metabolism, burn body fat, improve your cardiopulmonary health (the efficiency of your heart and lungs), and enhance your mood. One research paper in the Journal of Clinical Investigation found that even a small dose of cold exposure can slash body fat by 5.2%. So, cycling during the cooler months can actually help you lose weight faster and improve overall health.
- If you suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) or the milder winter blues, getting outside on your bike during the day can be doubly helpful. Lower light levels are thought to be one of the contributory factors to developing SAD, so going for a cycle outside during the day will boost your exposure to daylight.
- There will likely be far fewer people visiting parks and popular trails, so you may find you have them almost all to yourself!
- Yes, it might rain a bit more and be a bit colder but with the right gear you will be snug as a bug in a rug! Fend off the elements in comfort with the latest in wet and cold weather clothing and it doesn’t have to by lycra, you can buy thermal lined waterproof jeans from multiple brands. No excuses, just get the right clothing and get going!
- Try something new, get involved with a charity cycle or check out the range of leisure cycling events listed on Cycling Irelands Leisure Calendar – there is something for all levels.
- Get that healthy rosy glow, with a bit of cold air on your skin – it’s also really refreshing! Just don’t forget that you still need sun protection SPF even in the cooler months!
- Commuting by bike saves you money, with the cost of living rising there has never been a better time to ditch the car keys and take the bike; you’re also much less likely to get exposed to all the usual colds and coughs that are often spread through crowded train and buses.
- Cycling in colder weather conditions actually toughens you up physically as well. Research has shown that people who are regularly exposed to colder temperatures subsequently don’t feel the cold as much and are more comfortable in colder weather. They also don’t shiver as much, which is good news for conserving energy.
These are our top 10 reasons to keep cycling in Autumn, but most of all its a great excuse to invest in a new bike something a bit more sturdy and able to cope with the colder weather. Check out our range of sports hybrid bikes which are lightweight and designed for those that want a bit more comfort than a road bike. These sturdy bikes are ideal for Autumn / Winter weather conditions and are perfect bikes for both commuting and recreational riding. Check out our range HERE